Friday, August 6, 2010

Writing...My Favorite Passion

      I sit here everyday at the computer and write. I write this blog and I work on my novel I AM WOLF. I'm proud to say that it's on the final leg of the journey. At least,the bones are almost finished. I say that word a lot when I talk about my writing....Bones...

      Why do I do it? Why sit here pounding on the keyboard day after day, writing a novel and try to get into a business when I know there is a lot of rejection? I love it. It's a short answer I know, but it's the best one there is. I love to write. It takes me away to another world. My mind is always coming up with what if ideas. I have a whole file full of small paragraphs and observations. There is a section for names and even one that has a list of what ifs.

      When someone reads something I have written and says something about it, it makes my whole day. It means that someone took the time to get into my head for just a little while. When you have read what I have written, hopefully I was able to take you on an adventure full of life and love and even scared you a little. As long as you were entertained by what I have written, then I have done my job.

      One day I hope to be doing this for a living. I want to see my novel in black and white. I want to know that people have enjoyed it. Pushing it to the limit and not looking back, that's what I hope I've done. There is a lot of talent out there. Some who are noticed right off the bat and others who have to work hard to make it to the big leagues. I have written a total of three novels. I AM WOLF is my third. The other two are sitting on a disk somewhere collecting dust. I consider them practice.

      I have not now, nor will I ever come to the page light, without boldness or purpose. The blank page is a canvass that needs to be painted. It needs life and color through the characters that will live there. It is a world in need of creation. It calls my name like nothing else in the world has. That is why I do it. That's why I put the bones out there.

      I sit here at this keyboard everyday and I wonder what I'm going to write about on this blog, unsure that there is anyone who is going to see what I'm thinking about at that moment. That's ok though. It's something I love to do.

      I had the following conversation a lot of times with a lot of different people.

      "I'm thinking about writing."  He said.
      "Really, that's great. Have you ever written anything before?"  I ask.
      "No, but it looks like fun." he says.
      "It is. Who are your favorite writers?" I ask.
      "I don't really have time to read." He says.
      "Oh." I say.

      Stephen King wrote, if you don't have time to read, you don't have time to write.

      I have to say that I agree with him all the way. Writing takes practice. It takes a lot of time and effort. It takes a commitment and a personal willingness to not only put yourself out there, but a willingness to be rejected on every level. It takes an understanding that no matter what, you need to grow and learn from your past mistakes and move on to the next project. It isn't something that should ever be taken light.

      When I write, I push the boundaries. At least that's what I hope I'm doing. In I AM WOLF, I hope that I have written something that will not only entertain you the reader, but I'm hoping that it will make you cringe in some places and laugh in others. I hope that you will see the characters and feel the ringer I have put them through. I hope that you visit your dark side but root for the hero. When all is said and done, and the novel is read, I hope that I have entertained. Above all else, entertained. If I have done that, then I have done my job.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger